18 October 2008

The Orange Creamsicle Dress

My 65th completed sewing project for 2008!

It is FINALLY done! Yay! I started this dress in April, and it is finally done, 6 months later! I got orange because I thought it would be so nice for spring and summer …. Well I guess it will be nice for fall!

I am pretty pleased, because when I started this dress I had just finished my half marathon and now I am 18 weeks pregnant, and it still fits pretty well. I am just glad that I finally figured out a way to make all parts of the dress work for me.

So this dress does bear resemblance to the pattern, but I made so many changes. I changed the neckline, so it didn’t go quite as deep and was more modest. I added in the connecter triangle piece in the bodice, I widened the shoulder straps, designed my own sleeves for the dress because the dress was sleeveless, and I raised the neckline on the back of the dress as well. Then I changed the shape of the entire skirt. It is supposed to be a straight skirt that is gathered at the hip line, which was very unflattering on me, so I took the skirt off, and made it into an a-line skirt which I thought was much more flattering to me.

Also I did an invisible zipper in this dress and that is the first invisible zipper I have ever done and I loved it! I really love how when the dress is zipped you can’t see the zipper. Anyway I am glad this dress is done, hopefully I will find ways to use this dress a couple of times before I get too pregnant. My baby bump is really started to swell, at least I can tell.

No comments: