26 February 2009

Baby Boy Sunday Outfit

My 27th completed sewing project for 2009!



This project has been in the works for quite a while, and it was a lot of work, so bear with me, because I posted a lot of pictures to show all the details.

I had a good friend in NY that was very particular about dress clothes, and I think it has totally influenced me. Because since I knew I was having a baby boy, I really wanted him to have some nice clothes to wear to church on Sunday, and I want him to have real tying ties and bow ties (my next project).

Anyway it is really difficult to find dress clothes for infants, or they are really expensive. I haven't even been able to find patterns, so hence part of the reason this project was so intense, is I had to design a lot of my own pattern. I combined a couple of patterns and made up some stuff myself to get this design. I really tried to get the details to really look like a men's dress shirt. Anyway I am really pleased with the result and Ben was so excited for his little boy to wear it. Now to figure out little neck ties and bow ties.


Back view the vest on


close up of the vest and shirt (those are little white buttons that are actually snaps)


the shirt without the vest (cute little pocket is covered by the vest)


All the buttons, the cuffs, the vest and the shirt front



Back view with the vest off (it is a romper, the shirt does not tuck in, it is attached to the pants)

close up of the back of the shirt, with the yoke that men's dress shirts have

close up of the cuff (it doesn't actually button and unbutton, the button is just there for decoration)



the snaps in the crotch seam, for easy diaper changing, also I did the snaps so you can't see them when it is all snapped up, which i think makes it look a little fancier


So I think my older daughter will be happy. A couple of weeks ago when I was working tons and tons on the baby quilt, she asked me "what is more important mom, a quilt or church?" She thought I should be working on her baby brother's sunday outfit, not his quilt. Maybe I will post pictures of the quilt in a couple of days, I am just hand sewing the binding down, and then it will be all done.

4 comments:

Mary Anne said...

This is so cute!!!! I love it. Can't wait to see Zephyr in it.

Lindsey said...

Em this looks amazing!

Brittany said...

OMG that is so cute! I have been looking to do something like this for my son who is three months. Any suggestions or tips? I haven't been able to find a pattern for it either.

Unknown said...

Is it possible to get a pattern? I can't find one anywhere for a baby boy shirt.
Thanks!
Grammie