03 May 2008

Other Projects

the quilt made by my grandma


So in attempt to clean out my house, I decided I needed to whittle down my fabric stash. Though I am finding that some fabric scraps I am having a hard time letting go, like scraps from the girls carseats, or special dresses. So I decided to make sunbonnet sue quilts for special fabric scraps that I want to remember. Then whatever else is leftover, I will put into my charity quilts. I got the idea because my Grandma made one of those quilts for my mom when she got married.


a work in progress block with the scraps from Prairie's carseat cover


So I was working on making my blocks when my sister and her friend Jason were over at my house and I was saying that I couldn't do sunbonnet sue quilts for my sons (when and if I have them), but I still wanted to do memory quilts for them. So Jason, who just got accepted in the BYU animation program, drew a counterpart to sunbonnet sue, who Jennie and I name Mr. Lapels. So now I just need to have a boy so I will have a use for the pattern. Jennie then had the idea to do quilt blocks with sunbonnet sue and Mr. Lapels together.


This is the sketch of Mr. Lapels that Jason Kaleookalani Rivera did for me


So I am working on getting the fabric set aside for these blocks, so that I can cut up the rest and sew them up into my charity quilts.

2 comments:

Max and Deanna said...

The sun bonnet quilt brought back memories. My Mom also made me one when I was married. When Grandma Mortensen helped quilt it she told Max that she left one long stitch so he would catch his toe in it. Those two were always teasing each other. I really enjoy seeing your sewing projects!!

Jennie said...

Mr. Lapels is awesome.