30 May 2008

Works in Progress

So I have spent a lot of time this week working on two different dresses and they have both been causing me a lot of problems. The first one, the black and white dragonfly dress, when I sewed up the seems it was way to tight. I got really discouraged and decided that I would just wear it when I lost weight. Then couple of days later I got some more momentum and decided that I could let out all the seams, which means unpick everything I had sewn and go back to square one, so i did that, now it is fitting well, but the top band of the dress didn't have so many seams, so I need to piece on some more fabric, which is a pain, but I will do it, but that is the main reason I haven't finished that dress.




The other dress is the dress that I worked on a LOT when my mom was here in the end of april. I completely reworked the bodice on a mock up while she was here, so I finally started sewing the real dress together, and I got the triangle piece in sewn nicely into the bodice so it is modest, and I think the bodice fits really well. When i finally got the skirt sewn on, I was really disappointed. I really do not like how the skirt looks on my hips. I have very large hips proportioned to the rest of my body and for my frame, and this dress screams that out, and it just doesn't seem right. So I am back to the drawing board on the skirt part of the dress, since the way the pattern is designed is not going to work for me. I am thinking of reshaping the skirt so it is a lot sharper a-line skirt and so it doesn't gather to the middle section at all, therefore giving less poof for my hips, so we will have to see. This little snag will probably mean that it is a number of weeks before I finish this project.

1 comment:

Ryan + Angie said...

I'm amazed how skilled you are. The fact that you can take something that doesn't fit (and frustrates you) and you can rework it to be better in amazing. Wow!